Re: More info about underneath clutch replacement

To: "James Porco" <jporco@juno.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More info about underneath clutch replacement
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:18:34 -0700
Interesting. The reason you can't do it with an overdrive is probably
overall length; i.e. it gets hung up on the permanent crossmember, unless
you remove the OD first separately, which is messy, and tricky to
reattach (again, this is based on my experience).

I would strongly recommend having a floor jack under the transmission
throughout this procedure. Even if you have forearms like Mark McGuire
the transmission is a serious load to handle from a confined position. Or
a transmission jack could be rented for the occasion.

Remember to remove the shift lever (from the cockpit) first, or it will
hang you up. Also, if your MG has reverse lights, the wires will be
attached to the switch at the top of the transmission -- don't break 'em!
And disconnect the speedometer drive cable.

You will also need to disconnect the clutch arm from the slave cylinder
(remove the pin). Don't leave the slave cylinder dangling from its hose,
either -- tie it up to the frame with wire, out of the way, preferably in
its normal horizontal orientation (or it may drip).

I assume you know about using the clutch alignment tool (or a spare
output shaft). And be sure the car is supported safely on jack stands
(not stacks of blocks or the MG jack).

I think this technique sounds plausible. Doubtless you will run into a
few snags which you can then share for the enlightenment of all. Good
luck.

James Porco had this to say:

--

Max Heim