Re: More info about underneath clutch replacement

To: James Porco <jporco@juno.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More info about underneath clutch replacement
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 14:58:21 -0600
I have done it this way several times, with an o/d transmission. However,
just pulling the transmission back is not quite enough. You have to unbolt
the clutch pressure plate from the flywheel also.

The trick I learned was to drill a hole in the transmission close to where
it bolts to the engine - with a hole about 1" in diameter, you can access
and unbolt the clutch from the flywheel. Then you have to pull the
transmission far enough back to pull it down and retrieve the clutch parts.

It is still a pain and works best with two people. But it saves the cost of
an engine hoist as well as a few hours of addition work undoing the engine
and components and reassembling.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT