Re: Exhaust pipe length / diameter

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Exhaust pipe length / diameter
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 13:13:41 +0000
Larry Hoy wrote:

> > think), Joe Hufffaker stated that with the factory competition
> > header, which I presume was a long center branch system, one
> > should use a 1 7/8" OD exhaust pipe, terminating in a megaphone
> > at the rear of the car. It should measure exactly 8' 3" from the
> > junction point of the two down pipes on the header to the end of
> > the megaphone. This is for a fully prepped SCCA race engine, so
> > I'm not too sure if this would apply to a streetable engine.
>
> That's what I've done on my B race car.  Tooooooo loud for the
> street.  In fact it's only a matter of time until they tell me at
> the track to get it quieter.

Gee, I would love to get my own back on some of the seriously noisy cars
at the track... like a couple of rotary Mazdas that drown out
conversation in the marshalling yard and annoy the heck out of everybody
(not to mention a seriously expensive 'real' Cobra that a rather wealthy
local advertising exec brought out last meeting - talk about LOUD).

I have heard about 'reversed' Hotdog mufflers and about in-cab
knife-switch-operated systems which can be used to swap to a
straight-through exhaust system without getting out of the car.  These
all intrigue me.

There is something anti-climactic about watching (or being passed by) a
Subaru WRX on the track.  The turbo hiss and puff just isn't the same as
a decent meaty growl or roar.

:-)

Eric
Whispering '68MGB MkII