Re: Overdrive Problems - '77B

To: "Rich Peterson" <kerry3@earthlink.net>, "MGS" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive Problems - '77B
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 19:34:43 -0700
Rich,

This problem is often caused by the lockout switch not making constant
contact. When it happens next, push the shift lever to the right. If the
overdrive then stays engaged, the lockout switch may be loose or worn
internally. It's a bear to get at but it is possible; if it won't respond to
being tightened, undo it completely and refit it with only one fiber washer
(there are usually two), or with no washer. If that doesn't fix it, try a
new switch as the old one may not be passing a consistent 12 volts. We have
also found that the switch in the top of the shift knob can go bad and make
intermittent contact. This is an easy one to replace and may solve the
problem. If neither of these fixes work, then you have to consider the more
expensive possibility of internal overdrive problems.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center