Re: Trunk lid won't open

To: "Baker, G." <gbaker@customcpu.com>
Subject: Re: Trunk lid won't open
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 17:14:17 -0400
Gregg,

      Copied below is a note that I sent to a fellow list member (Trevor) who
was in a similar pickle. It worked for him, and Charley too, if I recall
correctly.  Saves drilling holes in your car.

<snip>

        I almost got locked out of the trunk of my 77B a couple of weeks ago.
It did open after a bit of fiddlin' with it.  When I got it open I had a good
look at the cause of the problem.  It's wear on the cam that contacts the
latch.  Turns out that the area most worn (naturally) is the end of the cam
where it contacts the latch after the key has been fully turned in the lock.
What worked for me was to barely turn the key out of the lock position and then
press the button while leaning on the trunk lid.  The initial part of the cam
had hardly any wear and was thick enough to actuate the latch.  Later on, I
judiciously built up the end of the cam by use of a hammer.

<end snip>

--
Bud Krueger
http://home.ici.net/~bkrueger/