RE: wiring: replace or fix?

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>, Michael Jose <mwjose@u.arizona.edu>
Subject: RE: wiring: replace or fix?
From: Chris Rose <chris_rose@totalise.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 14:06:24 +0100
Hi Mike.

I've never actually replaced a harness myself, although I do rememer the
wiring being completely redone on my B by a friend of my dad who was just an
electronics and the like guru.....

I've spent many hours chasing failing bits of electrics around what can only
be described as a tired set of wiring! When you're next trying to get one of
those lights working, have a look at the wire itself. Remember that copper is
supposed to be brown and shiny, and not dull and green! If you strip down the
insulation on a wire more than a few CM and are still finding dull looking
wiring, then you're nothing more than a servant of the Prince of Darkness...he
will appear before too long.

I looked at replacing the wiring harness on a car once, a job made doubly
entertaining by the fact it was a carbon fibre body!! I've no specific B
knowledge, as I was only a kid when it was done on mine, but I do know that if
its a lucas set of wiring, you can have such pleasures as brown with a green
stripe and also green with a brown stripe!! If you are planning to get a
purpose built kit then in theory it should be a case of as you remove one wire
you attach the other, but life is never going to be that simple. A wiring
diagram would be a good starting point, and then you can see if its a task you
'fancy' or not.

>From the symptoms you describe, along with the planned work you are going to
do to the car anyway, i'd say it probably makes good sense to replace the
wiring at some point. Bear in mind that nobody said this has to be something
to be done by you and you alone, and if you can find a friend who has done
something similar, even with a different sort of car, this could well be
invaluable. If you were removing the engine, you'd not consider this a one
person job and, likewise, I'd say the wiring, whilst being possible by one
person, is probably much more likely to get finished by two.

As I said, on my car, I just chased dim bulbs and stuff all over the car. I
had to sell the car in the end, but if I'd kept it, re-wiring would have been
pretty close to the top of my list of 'next things to do'

My advice would be to label absolutely everything. What you don't want is a
situation where you can't finish for whatever reason, and you also can't
return it to how it was. I imagine a circuit tester with REALLY long cables
might also be useful :)

I'd say go for it; it'll be hard work but the rewards of doing it will
(eventually ;) outweigh the hardship at the time.

best of luck

Chris

1963 MGB Roadster (complete with broken bolt being soaked in penetrating oil
by a mate on a regular basis!)