Muffler Question

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Muffler Question
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 22:00:14 -0400
Mel asks about removing the center muffler on his '71 BGT.

Been there, done that.  Tried variations, etc.

Back in 1966 I too tired of replacing the center muffler of my '65 B that
very often got whacked on our driveway. (My '66 B will also drag the center
muffler on that same driveway today.  Now I know that I have to take it on
an angle to avoid the problem I had back then.)

The first thing I did was to install a section of pipe in place of the front
muffler.  Too noisy on the highway.  Drove me nuts.  And, this was after
spending a couple of years drag racing a car with the exhaust outlet under
the driver's door.  (What noise?)

Then I tried installing the front muffler & removing the rear while being
extra careful about hitting things (underneath).  It too was too loud.  SO,
back to the stock setup.

On my '80 MGB with cat converter, replacing the center muffler with a pipe
section gave it a beautiful mellow sound.  Did that early on in my 5 years
with that car & that's how it stayed.

Now, with my '66 B, I have a straight-through front muffler in place, with a
Supertrapp on the back.  It's noisy.  But, tolerably so.  Has minimal back
pressure that is adjustable with the Supertrapp.  And, has almost 3 inches
of ground clearance (Wow!) under the center muffler.

My suggestion to you is try various configurations.  And, work at keeping
the system as high off the ground as possible while preserving clearance
from the body and chassis.

Good luck!

Norm Sippel
9 years of driving MGB's on a daily basis