Re: Multimeter

To: "Phillips, Frank" <fwp@ufl.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Multimeter
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 10:29:14 +0100
You need dwell, tach and a low ohms range of about 10 ohms as well as the
usual voltage ranges.  Personally I don't have much use for current ranges,
it is all to easy to damage the instrument.  Digital meters give absolute
readings without having to interpret the position of a needle on a scale,
but with varying voltages e.g. ignition it may continually hunt between
several readings none of which make much sense.  On an analogue meter
varying voltages are displayed as a more or less steady average which is
more useful.  If you cannot get an analogue with a 10 ohm scale get a
digital with one and get a test lamp as well.  In fact get a test lamp
anyway.

When looking for bad connections measuring voltage on a wire or component
that isn't under load is no good, the meter will always show 12v unless it
has pretty-well a full disconnection.  Either the circuit must be under load
when you measure the voltage or use a test lamp in place of the meter - the
test lamp will indicate a bad connection by glowing dimmer than it should.
However even a test lamp is no good on the heavy current (starter) circuit
because resistances too small to affect the test lamp will cause slow or
non-cranking, you have to use a voltmeter and measure the volt-drops *along*
the circuit.

*Never* look for a drain by connecting a meter on a amps scale in place of
the battery ground cable, if the drain is bigger than you expect you can
damage the meter.  Use a test lamp to indicate a significant drain (if it
glows at all it is significant) or a meter on a *12v* scale to show very
small drains.  If the meter shows less than 12v it is very small, it it
shows 12v it could be a significant drain.

When you get round to sorting your car you might like to have a look at the
web site below - select 'Spanners' and 'Electrics' where you will see a
number of options including 'Bad Connections'.

PaulH.
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk