Re: Multimeter

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Multimeter
From: mup1dm <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 00 15:49:56 +0100
Frank Phillips asked:
>...What features are a "must have" for MG electrical work?

1.) ability to measure voltages between 0 and 20 volts
2.) ability to measure resistance (you usually hope to read "0")

You will be using it mostly to check that voltage is there (12-
15 volts) and not, for instance, divided by a bad ground (in which
case you MIGHT see 6 to 7 volts across the terminals of a light.)

Bulbs, fuses, and continuity (connection) to ground are tested
with the resistance scale, but I often use the diode-check
position on meters so equipped, because they emit a "beep"
if there is a connection and I don't even have to look at the
meter.

Even the cheapest unbranded versions will do, so I usually base
by decision on the battery: how common is it, and how easy is it
to replace? I so often forget to turn the meter "Off", so I like
the ones that use cheap AA cells.

Douglas McKinnie
'72 B-GT