Re: Vrooom, clank, clank

To: Engelhardt <engel@metro.net>
Subject: Re: Vrooom, clank, clank
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 23:47:38 -0400
Engelhardt wrote:

> Finally got the car on the road after fixing a blown head gasket. I got
> about three miles from home, started up a hill, alll of a sudden a loud,
> heavy clank started in the engine. Called AAA for a tow (yes, David, I
> did tip the driver) and got the car home. The clank sounds like a heavy
> hammer hitting an anvil but the engine still runs! I'm thinking maybe I
> broke a con rod or the crank.

  All manner of horrors could have let loose in there, however,
don't discount the easy things, especially since you have to
remove so much to get the head off.

  Is something hitting the fan?

  Is the exhaust manifold loose or broken? A leak right
at the head can sound incredibly mechanical.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca