Re: Fuel and Lever Question

To: Cynthia_Cameron@icoc.org
Subject: Re: Fuel and Lever Question
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 23:51:43 -0400
Cynthia_Cameron@icoc.org wrote:
> 1) Fuel smell while driving - frequent whiffs of gasoline.

  Specific advice might be hard to give, but no, you shouldn't smell
gas when running. Turn the fuel pump on (the ignition) without starting
the car, have an extinguisher handy, and start looking.

> The second unknown is some kind of light fixture on my dash. It is in the
> top left corner; rectangular black frame with a red lens and a black
> knurled pushbutton of some sort. Don't have a clue as to what that is for.

  As mentioned, brake failure light, with test button.

> PS - thought you would appreciate this - last week, changing the oil for
> the first time; likely the first time in a LONG time. I cannot for the life
> of me get the upright oil filter off - it's rusted on.

  When you get it off, I would suggest switching to the later
"hanging" oil filter, you can get the bits from a junkyard. It's
easier on the engine at startup, since even with good filters
with drain-back valves, those vertical ones go empty while
standing and you have no oil for a few seconds at
startup.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca