RE: variety

To: "'MalcolmJeffcock'" <jeffcock@istar.ca>
Subject: RE: variety
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:37:41 -0700
Malcolm:

        The bolts used to mount the trans to the engine are not an easily
found length.  I made up a set from hardware store bolts, but ended up
having to cut most of them down.  The hardware store bolts are either too
long or too short.

        Moss does now carry a set of the correct bolts, which I'd suggest
getting, either from them, or from a distributer.  322-438.  The cost $5.95
is cheaper than buying the bolts from a hardware store.  It is one of those
nifty things, that make the job much easier.

        Check the throwout bearing.  It should have no cracks on the
material face, and must have at least 1/4" of material.  Any questions, buy
a new one, they are cheap.

        Check the face of the cluch cover for burning, and the throw out
surface for scoring.  If it looks ok, then go ahead and reuse.  The cover is
the most expensive component.  It is also usually the most reusable.

        Check the clutch disc.  The springs in the center should be tightly
enclosed, and not rattle.  The face material must be scorch free and have at
least 1/8" above the rivets.  Any question about the thickness, replace.

        I'll leave the battery question to others.  One note that I havn't
seen lately.  If you do change over to a single 12 volt, there is a quandry.
To get adequate cranking power, you will have to go with a densely packed
battery with lots of plates.  If you do not drive the car regularily, this
dense packing makes the battery more susceptible to sulphation, where
strands of sulphides short between the plates.  Plan on making sure that you
keep the battery fully charged, or it's life will be short.

Kelvin.