Re: Front shock replacement/susp rebuild

To: niederst@telerama.com
Subject: Re: Front shock replacement/susp rebuild
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:03:28 -0500

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:45:46 -0400 "Craig D. Niederst"
<niederst@telerama.com> writes:
> I have really noticed how bad my front suspension is since I have
> replaced
> the rear shocks on my MGB. I am intending on replacing both lever
> shocks
> with rebuilt units from Apple Hydraulics, the front springs and the
> A-arm
> bushes w/ V8 ones. I have not detected any play in the kingpins, so
> I think
> they are OK. Are there any other components that should be replaced
> at the
> same time (I want to only have to place 1 order to LBCarCo)? I have
> checked
> Skye's site which has a nice write-up on rebuilding the front
> suspension,
> and think I know what I need to order, but just wanted to check with
> the
> list first. TIA.
>
> Craig
> '71 B

When I did this on my MGA I replaced all the bolts with Grade 8 bolts
from the hardware store, including the A-Arm to spring pan bolts as they
tend to wear.  You might find out that your A-Arm holes are wallowed out,
which means you'll either have to replace them or weld up the holes and
redrill them.  They aren't expensive to buy.

Check the condition of your rubber bits, you might need to replace them.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD