Re: LEAKY NEW BRAKE MASTER CYL

To: Ceicia@aol.com
Subject: Re: LEAKY NEW BRAKE MASTER CYL
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:40:03 -0500
Glad to see I'm not the only one:

Purchased a Lockheed M/C from Proper MG which lasted 1 month, exchanged it for
another, stored car for winter, discovered it leaking and the reservoir dry in
spring.
Purchased another Lockheed M/C from MOSS, installed this last March, started
leaking last week (~300miles).

Lines had been flushed with alcohol and blown dry with compressed air each time
the M/C was replaced. Used Castrol LMA exclusively. Car has new hoses,and rear
wheel cylinders. Fluid  ran clean during bleeding, no rust or other nasties.

I'm mystified. My only guess is that (and I find these hard to believe):
    Lockheed had a bad batch of M/Cs
    They've been sitting around for a long time and the O-rings have taken a
'set'
    Castrol LMA has been mispackaged (bought at Pep Boys).
    Some unseen and unbleedable grit is being sucked into and out of the M/C
bore
during operation, chaffing the o-ringsnad causing
    them to fail.

As much as it goes against my better judgment, I'm inclined to believe I'll have
to live with it...

Any theories as to what could be causing this?

Jeff
'70 MGB