Re: No starter no vroom

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No starter no vroom
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 10:59:59 -0700
Enrique,

I'm not sure about the voltage to the solenoid.  I would have thought that
12 volts was needed there as well.  Why don't you connect the battery
connection at the starter with the solenoid spade with a jumper wire to
bypass the circuit with 7.5 volts to see if 12 volts will make the starter
work.  If you have a remote starter this is usually how it it done with a
push button to use to make the circuit contact.  This should give the
solenoid enough power to make the high amperage contact for the starter to
work if 7.5 volts isn't sufficient.  The low voltage could be caused by a
big amperage draw from the starter on a bad battery also, but most likely is
a bad connection in the starter circuit (between the starter switch and the
starter itself.  The voltage drop at the battery and the starter under load
should still give you at least 10 volts.  You should also check the ground
strap between the solenoid and the starter body as it is the other side
(negative) side of the solenoid switch.

If the above fails, I am assuming that you tested the starter motor under no
load (didn't have to turn anything but itself).  Maybe you should take out
the spark plugs and see it the starter can turn the engine with no
compression working against it.  It could be that the starter just can't
turn the engine and was bad in the first place.

Hope this helps,

Dave 72 B