Gear Reduction starters: Help!?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gear Reduction starters: Help!?
From: "Andrew D. Zimmerman" <a.d.zimmerman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:54:06 -0400
--------------F2E589CE68B5A42602C5683C

To All:

Barrie Robinson's post gives me a helpful segue into a post I need to make.  I
have nearly completed the restoration of my 72 B.  I had planned to to crank it
up last night, but upon connecting the battery, I discovered a vexing problem:
the starter began to turn the instant the battery was hooked up.  It's a gear
reduction type that came from Moss via my local distributor.  I followed the
instructions to a "T," which said to hook the battery cable to the large post,
the thin brown wire (from the ignition switch) to a connector adjacent to the
large post, and the white-brown wire (from the starter relay) to the opposite
side of the solenoid, just below a rubber boot insulating the wire that runs
between the starter and the solenoid.  Although it made no mention of this, I
also hooked up the "fat" brown wire that goes to the alternator to the large
post--it shows this connection in the Bentley wiring diagram for my car.

Does anyone know why my starter is doing this??  Is there an error in the
wiring instructions?  Has anyone out there had a similar problem?  I appreciate
any help anyone can offer.  My next step is to try switching the thin brown and
white-brown wires.

Andrew Zimmerman, Newark DE

--------------F2E589CE68B5A42602C5683C
 name="a.d.zimmerman.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Zimmerman;Andrew D.
tel;home:(302) 737-7747
tel;work:(302) 888-5293
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;10 Woodshaw Road;Newark;DE;19711-7421;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:a.d.zimmerman@worldnet.att.net
note;quoted-printable:"Freedom is not static but dynamic=3B not a vested
interest, but a prize continually to be won."  (Jacques Ellul, The
Technological Society)
fn:Andrew D. Zimmerman, Ph.D
end:vcard

--------------F2E589CE68B5A42602C5683C--