Re: Gear Reduction starters: Help!?

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gear Reduction starters: Help!?
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:08:54 -0700
Andrew,

The brown wires all connect to the battery lead and the brown/white goes
from the solenoid to the solenoid relay.  Even though they may provide a
separate connector from the "big" one for the brown wires.  An ohm meter
should verify that they are really the same connection.  I would disconnect
the brown/white lead to see if the starter turns on when the battery is
connected.  If it doesn't try to start, put a jumper between the "big" lead
and the brown/white tab on the solenoid to see it the starter works.  If it
does, your solenoid relay is probably stuck closed and providing a constant
current to the solenoid through the brown/white wire.  A sharp rap with a
BFH might fix it.  On the other hand if the starter runs with the solenoid
disconnected, I would guess that the solenoid is either stuck on or the
"big" terminal is to the starter instead of the relay (backwards).  I know
that on my 72 B, I reversed the battery terminal with the starter terminal
when the threads started to get worn on the battery side.  Don't know if
that design is used on the reduction type starter or not.

Good luck,

Dave 72 B