Way to preserve old tyres?

To: mga <mga@napanet.net>, MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Way to preserve old tyres?
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:59:18 -0700
Don,

I guess I'd ask what you will be using the tires for.  If you are
doing a static display/concours presentation, you could probably get
by with Armor All tire stuff for a long time.  If you are really
driving much, I would advise getting new tires!

Old tires-radials in particular-develop two potentially serious
problems.  The bonding of the rubber to the belt deteriorates with
heat cycling and aging of the rubber.  Separation of the belt from
the carcass can be a potentially lethal failure.  Also, the rubber
tread compound loses its grip as the rubber ages, particularly on wet
pavement.  I had a set of (original) 12 year old Pirelli P6 tires on
my Alfa GTV-6 when I got it, and they had a tendency lose traction on
damp pavement.  Even on dry pavement, the grip was diminished.  Same
story on a set of Goodyear G-Metrics that came with my last MGB-GT.

Tire and safety experts I have heard put the safe and useful life of
a radial tire at 10 years--after that you really ought to think about
replacement.

--
Chris Attias
'64 MGB