Re: Way to preserve old tyres?

To: mga <mga@napanet.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Way to preserve old tyres?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:34:39 -0500
At 06:00 AM 6/23/2000 -0700, mga wrote:

>My '62 MGA is fitted with old Michelin ZX's which are holding up OK.
Nontheless, I'm afraid they will rot before they wear out given the amount
of driving the car gets.  When I see the prices Coker charges for tyres
like this, I realize that I would like to do everything possible to
preserve mine!

>Does anyone know of products or procedures that will extend the life of
tyres?

Not to be such a stickler for detail, but Michelin ZX was not an original
tyre for the MGA.  Most MGA were originally fitted with bias ply nylon
tires, with some form of radial being an option (but not standard) only
near the end of production.  So the real answer to the high prices from
Coker is, you only buy those if you want concourse type tyres, or if you
want the racing type radials.  Otherwise I recommend Dunlop SP20 steel
belted radials, 165-80-15, which can be purchased from Tire Rack for about
$39 plus shipping.  Now in modern times no one in their right mind would
want to drive on bias ply tyres except for concourse purposes.

$.02,

Barnmey Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg