Re: 80 MGB runs but won't start

To: "Phil Farmer" <swimmer@seark.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 80 MGB runs but won't start
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:00:18 +0100
A 1980 may have one of two types of electronic ignition if it is original,
or an aftermarket electronic system or straight points and a coil.  What do
you have?.  And from the info I have either factory electronic system should
be using a 6v coil with external ballast (a length of resistance wire
contained within the loom).  A 6v system should also have a
white/light-green wire going to the coil +ve from the solenoid which boosts
coil voltage to 12v while cranking.  If connecting a jumper lead from
fusebox to coil allows it to start then possibly the white/light-green
between solenoid and coil is broken, since that wire effectively does
exactly what your jumper does.  Check at the solenoid for a
white/light-green, and check the voltage on it wioth the key in the run
position.  If you see 0v then the wire is broken between there and the coil
and not feeding boost voltage up to the coil.  If you see the same voltage
as at the coil positive then remove the white/light-green from the solenoid
and with the voltmeter connected to the solenoid spade check the voltage
while cranking.  If you don't see 10-12v then the solenoid is faulty and not
putting out the boost voltage.  Don't know what you are measuring the
voltage with but there should be some difference between the key in the run
position but the engine stationary and cranking.  If there really is no
difference (and it is not just a case of not being able to measure the
difference) then the trigger in the distributor, whatever it is, is not
causing the voltage to the coil to be switched and hence no spark will be
generated.

PaulH.