The Hon. John Dawson-Damer

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Hon. John Dawson-Damer
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 21:58:07 +0000
Even in my only recent entry into the field (love) of classic cars in
the way that only owners can know, I became aware of this person.  Many
of you would have seen the news footage of the accident and may have
known or known of a fellow enthusiast, The Hon. John Dawson-Damer.

His passing hasn't been mentioned on this list and may not be strictly
MG related but I am sure you will excuse my forwarding the following
media release I received today.

==============

Media Release John Dawson-Damer 26 June 00

MOTOR SPORT COMMUNITY MOURNS
 THE PASSING OF LEADING FIGURE

The Hon. John Dawson-Damer died at the weekend while competing in an
historic event. His passing will affect a great many people, as he was
one of the most liked and respected personalities in the motor sport
world.

His common sense and generous spirit immensely aided the progress of the
many committees and other activities he so completely threw himself
into. His influence was worldwide and lasting through his role as a
member of the FIA Historic Cars Commission.

In Australia, his unstinting service to the development of the historic
movement will be strongly missed. As Peter Hansen, CEO of CAMS, the
Confederation of Australian Motor Sport put it, "With the passing of the
Hon. John Dawson-Damer, CAMS has lost not only a friend and loyal
supporter, but also a capable Chairman of its Historic Commission with
whom I enjoyed a close working relationship based on friendship and
mutual respect. We all owe it to JDD, as he was known, to work hard for
the ongoing development of historic motor sport in Australia and around
the world."

JDD enjoyed motor sport in many different forms over his lifetime and
was well known for his achievement as Australian Rally Championship
Navigator in 1978 with Greg Carr and the Ford Team. He also rallied with
Colin Bond in the 1970s and, in recent years, they competed together in
Targa Tasmania.

However, he was best known for owning probably the best Formula One
Lotus private collection anywhere and for racing his cars with vigour
wherever there was an opportunity.

It was in driving the very rare and difficult 1969 Type 63 four wheel
drive Gold Leaf FI car at the Goodwood Festival of Speed hillclimb in
England that JDD had his tragic accident. Sadly, two marshals were
involved, one being killed and the other seriously injured.

The Board and Management of CAMS passes on its heartfelt condolences to
Mrs. Ashley Dawson-Damer and family and his many friends around the
world. JDD will be sorely missed.