Re: '72 MBG Running great!

To: "DaimlerChrysler Dealership" <willp@hamdenchryslerplymouth.com>,
Subject: Re: '72 MBG Running great!
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:40:58 -0700
First, congrats on your experience with your B... sounds like you picked
up a good one!

Second, oh boy, you must have missed the longwinded discussion of tube vs
lever shocks that recently petered out on this list (longwinded largely
due to me, I'm afraid). Without getting into that again, let's just say
that there is no reason your MG can't be safe (and fun) handling with the
original type shocks. If you want to get into extreme performance
handling that may be another story... But don't just assume that tube
shocks will result in instant superiority (except, of course, compared to
worn-out lever shocks).

Third, is your car sagging noticeably at the rear? Or what makes you
think the rear springs need replacing? Not that it is a difficult job,
but there have been several reports that new rear springs have led to a
"hopped up" look, with the rear sitting much higher than the front (in
fact mine still has a prominent rake after 8 or 10 years). Apparently one
thing to make sure of is that you do the final tightening of the shackle
bolts with the weight of the car on the springs. Anyway, if you are just
"bottoming out" the suspension on bumps, it may just be the shocks that
need replacing. Then again, a broken leaf can result in wildly
assymmetrical handling -- if you discover one, you need to replace the
springs as a pair.

Hope this helps,
Max

DaimlerChrysler Dealership had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149