Re: MG TD Voltage Regulator Cooking Battery?

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>, mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG TD Voltage Regulator Cooking Battery?
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:36:48 -0700
Yes, I had that problem too, and reduced the setting below what is recommended.
This cropped up after putting in a new battery. The old battery had been in the
car some time, and with age it took more to keep it charged. Thus it boil away.
When the new one went in. We reduced the charge rate twice as it was spewing
acid vapor all over the engine compartment when taking a long distance tour to
GOF central.

My mechanic brother told me it is related to the change in battery technology.
New batteries have much lower internal resistance than those built during the
'50's. Thus the new batteries probably don't need as high a charge rate.

Blake