Re: Re:the passing of american mechanics

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re:the passing of american mechanics
From: "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 15:53:17 PDT
Unfortunately, the problem is not limited to America.

I once took my very first MG, an MG Metro, to the dealer from where I had
bought it (new), for a service. It had been running fine when I took the car
in.

After the service, the sheet listing the work done had a note: "runs rough,
may be valve out". Sure enough the car was running rough. Well it did not
take too much time to figure out that they had adjusted the rocker
clearances so that one valve had zero clearance.

Accident? Deliberate? Who knows? All I know is that they really did not want
to talk to me about it.

They asked me to bring the car back to them to check it and then proudly
said there was no problem -- of course, I had said to them on many occasions
that I was not going to run my car with zero valve clearance, thus I had
already re-set the clearances BEFORE they checked them.

Simon