Re: the passing of american mechanics

To: Simon Matthews <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: the passing of american mechanics
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 19:10:43 -0500
  When I was 20 years old I took a '57 Chevy (stick shift, OD and
Corvette motor) into a Chevy dealership in my home town for a minor tune
up.  When I got it back it wouldn't get out of its own way.  They told
me to buzz off when I complained.  I took it to an independent garage
down the road.  The mechanic reset the timing and it ran fine.  The
garage owner wouldn't give me a letter but he didn't charge me either.

  I figured I could mess it up cheaper than the dealership, so I read
some books, took a course or two and have been doing my own work ever
since.

  Moral:  If you want to be certain it's done right, do it yourself.
er, if you can....

  CR