Re: New blood

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New blood
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 08:23:07 -0700
As someone who has indoctrinated his kids with the fun and values of
life with LBCs, I feel the need to comment on this thread!

My wife and I got our first MGB in 1969, a '65--BRG with WW, and still
drive it.  We brought both kids home from the hospital in it in '74
(daughter) and '76 (son), so they both have had a lifetime of experience
with this MGB.  We also have friends who bought a '71 GT in '75, and
their 30 year old daughter has it now and drives it daily here in
Seattle.  They now have a '73 roadster and live in Fairfax VA.

Naturally, my son went through periods of envying old American muscle
cars, but after his adolescent testosterone levels came down he came to
appreciate the virtues of the MGB, particularly the availability of
parts, both new and those that are on my shelves.  My daughter only
recently decided that a GT would suit her just fine, so we are now
working on restoring one for her.  My son and I have a long term goal of
getting into vintage racing, but he will have to come up for the money
for that!

These cars are so old now I don't see the likelihood of very many
teenagers being interested in them.  All of the affordable cars I have
found in the last five years have been either so far gone they are
suitable for parts only, or are in need of complete restoration.  Not
too many youngsters are willing to tackle this level of project when you
can buy an '80's vintage import for a couple thou that they can (and
will) run into the ground.

The stats I have read state that 80% of the 500,000 MGBs built were
shipped to the North American market.  I wonder how many are still on
the road or sitting in garages here in the US.  MGBs seem to gravitate
to me, and I know of four that are sitting wasting away in garages or
carports within a couple of miles of my home.  It is all I can do to
resist the temptation to knock on the door and offer to buy them!

Personally, I would like to see more young people get into this hobby
and get these cars back on the road, but most that I know (and my
company's workforce is primarily 20 somethings) would much prefer the
brand new SUV or sedan with all the bells and whistles.

Maybe the MGF will spawn a new generation of MG enthusiasts if it ever
makes it over here!
--
Stuart MacMillan

'84 Vanagon Westfalia