Re: Bonding fiberglas

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: Bonding fiberglas
From: "Michael Singleton" <one_ton3@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 18:55:58 -0700
My understanding of the situation was that the scoop would injest cool air
from outside and convey it directly to the carb intake, with the duct sealed
from the engine bay. This being the case, the following remain possible:
1: Whatever pressure drop is provided by the carb air intake will be lost as
the carb is getting air directly from outside.
2: The ducting will take up considerable free room inside the engine
compartment, and will make the hood effectively much closer to the engine.
3: The air exiting from the radiator is not cool. Further, if it has nowhere
to go, the fan can try to pull (or push, as the case may be) all it wants
to, but it will be much less effective.
4: I'm speaking from some experience, not a theoretical excersize.

Incidently, on a street car, at legal speeds, I kind of doubt there would be
all that much ram effect in any case. If the duct is not fairly tightly
sealed to the carb, it won't make any difference. It doesn't make all that
much difference at racing speeds either. With our ductwork in place on a
Trans Am Camaro, it didn't amount to a second a lap at Riverside. Still, it
could look cool.

Mike Singleton