more tires

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: more tires
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:03:28 -0600
I've run into a few minors snags in my quest to replace the +10 year old
tires on my 67 BGT. My normal tire shop no longer sells Michelins, only
Coopers or relabeled Coopers. However, the prices he quoted were under $50
each and they do wire wheels. Sears wanted about $80 each for the Pirelli
P400s but they are also way on the other side of town.

I've also considered the Tire Rack mail order. I can get the P400s for
slightly under $50 shipped, the Michelin Rainforce at about $70. Then I'll
have to pay for balancing/installing on top of that. But with Tire Rack, I
got mired in the aspect size. What does a 165R14 relate to in modern size?
Now I've got choices like 175/70 or 175/65. And then there is the 185/60
which isn't really that much different than the 175/65 according to this
site: http://powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi

The 175/70 appears to be larger. So many numbers.......... Any
recommendations on best size for a BGT? I was leaning 175/70 but now I'm
thinking 175/65. Oddly enough the MX4s are $7 cheaper for 175/65 vs 175/70.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT