RPM=MPG? (Justifying OD)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RPM=MPG? (Justifying OD)
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:52:25 -0400
I'm using my 78B for commuting at about 175 miles per day.  Running 75 to
80 mph is running at about 4200 to 4500 rpm.

I can have someone install OD for me for $1200 (in theory I could do it
myself, but I don't have the time or equipment to get the engine and tranny
out or back in).

With OD, what would 4200 rpm drop to?  About 3000?  If it was a 1/3rd drop,
what would my gas consumption reduce by?  Would it be a similar amount?

Just trying to see if I can justify OD on the basis of gas savings...

Thanks in advance,

- Tab