Re: RPM=MPG? (Justifying OD)

To: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Subject: Re: RPM=MPG? (Justifying OD)
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:19:17 -0700
The later trannies are far more durable than the early ones, so chances
are it is okay even without a rebuild.  I suggest you have them pull the
layshaft and replace it if it shows only slight or moderate wear, or
rebuild the box if it is badly worn.  Your shop should know how to do
this inspection, but instructions are in the Moss catalog if they don't.

You won't regret the conversion, all four of mine have or will have OD.
Also, I highly recommend Red Line MTL synthetic oil for these boxes, a
far better lubricant for the pressures in a transmission than motor
oil.  MTL stands for manual transmission lubricant, and is offers easier
shifting as well as improved longevity.  Excellent for the syncros and
won't harm the OD. I've been using it for nearly 10 years in the '65,
with good results.
--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle