Start but no run, part IV

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Start but no run, part IV
From: "M. Edwin Vaughan" <edvaughan@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:57:39 -0500
Hello Folks,

Well, I am still trying to get my car to start AND run on a consistent
basis. I ordered a new ignition relay and installed it today and the same
thing happened. It will fire whilst the key is in the start position and
die as soon as it pops back to the run position, but sometimes it starts
and runs fine. What is odd is this, when the relay is portioned as it
mounts, the car won't start. But, if I let it hang perpendicular to the
mounting surface or hang upside down the car will start about 80% of the
time.  Now, while it is running, if I lift the relay upright the car will
cut out. Also, when the car is not running, if I move the relay from the
upright position to 90 degrees to 180 degrees from the mounting position,
 I sometimes here a little click (sounds like "chich") coming from the
coil.

What can be wrong with my car?

TIA,

Edwin
'77 MGB

"I'm tryin' to think but nuthin' happens."
-- Curly Howard (the stooge)

Check out The MG Filling Station at:
http://members.fortunecity.com/mowogmg