Re: Start but no run, part IV

To: "M. Edwin Vaughan" <edvaughan@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Start but no run, part IV
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:25:53 -0500
At 03:57 PM 7/17/2000 -0500, M. Edwin Vaughan wrote:
>.... I ordered a new ignition relay and installed it .... when the relay
is portioned as it mounts, the car won't start. But, if I let it hang
perpendicular to the mounting surface or hang upside down the car will
start about 80% of the time.  Now, while it is running, if I lift the relay
upright the car will cut out. ....

Look for a broken wire inside of the insulation cover in the harness
connecting to that relay.  When you move the wire the broken ends can touch
or not touch inside of the insulation jacket depending on the positioning
of the harness.  Move the relay to a position where it won't run, and then
check the wiring for breaks.

Barney Gyalord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg