RE: Idle too high on HIF-4

To: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Idle too high on HIF-4
From: "carney_fam_ark" <carney_fam_ark@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 07:23:48 -0500
Steve,
I used to get completely frustrated attempting to set up my SU's (2 on the
MG, 3 on the Jag). I finally learned 2 things, and I have no problems now.
These two things can probably be said for the HIF's too.
1) follow EVERY step in the manual, in the order they're listed,
particularly disconnecting the choke cable.
2) If, after doing #1, you still can't get them set, you're leaking air
somewhere
I ended up having to bore & sleeve my carb bodies, and replace the throttle
shafts to solve the leaking on the Jag.
Hope this helps.
SNIP
I didn't play with the mixture screws, having set them when I last tried to
tune the carbs with the Colortune.
SNIP.

I had set the timing before (about 14 BTDC), although I haven't checked the
valve clearance in a while.
SNIP
 I know I haven't been thorough.  There also
was an air leak around the intake manifold which I think I fixed, but it
could still be leaking a little.

SNIP
 Any suggestions on what I
can do to set the carbs up correctly?  Thanks.

--Steve (1980 MGB)