RE: Smoke and Oil

To: "Anne and Richard Spurling" <hobbes@senet.com.au>,
Subject: RE: Smoke and Oil
From: "carney_fam_ark" <carney_fam_ark@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 07:32:51 -0500
Richard,
Yes. Probably since the PCV valve is plugged, you're generating too much
pressure in the crankcase & blowing oil out the vent & maybe the filler cap.
Good luck,
Jim Carney

SNIP
 Disconnect the PCV valve from
the crankcase, plug the pipe with a bolt and see what happens. I did and
sure enough, the smoke went away. They didn't have another valve to hand and
will try to get me one this week.
SNIP
 A quick
look under the bonnet showed oil all over the motor, motor bay and inside of
the bonnet (dripping down my neck as I peered under it). Not normal oil
leaks. I drove her home.

It's Sunday so frantic phone call #2 will have to wait for tomorrow. I
haven't had a chance to look for a blown oil line yet, and considering the
amount of oil, that is the probable cause, but could it be related to the
smoke and the PCV valve problem - after all, there was a hell of a lot of
smoke with the valve connected and a casual look suggests the oil is coming
from the crankcase vent. It didn't previously.

Any thoughts?

Prayers for a cheap fix would be appreciated.

Cheers
Richard
76 MGB
Waiting impatiently for opening time Monday morning.
        Anne and Richard Spurling
          hobbes@senet.com.au
 http://www.geocities.com/twisted-lines