Starting a New Engine

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starting a New Engine
From: "Randy Trautman" <trautman@nwlink.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:03:46 -0700
I'm brand new to the list so first I'll introduce myself.

My name is Randy, and I have a Tartan red 69 BGT.  I've owned the car
for 24 years, am the second owner, and am finishing a long-term total
restoration.  I've done ALL of the work myself including body, paint,
engine and interior.  I have literally stripped the car to a bare
shell and reassembled it.  Almost reassembled anyway.  I think
altzhiemers has set in.  I'm little fuzzy on how some of it goes back
together.  You see, I replated all of the hardware and things got a
bit mixed up.  I've actually chased down similar model MGs on the road
just to ask the driver if I could look under their bonnet.  Got
slapped once by a female driver, but we won't dwell on that.

Now the inevitable question!

I'm about one week away from putting the engine in and I'm curious if
anyone can give some tips for starting the engine the first time.  I'm
thinking about at least filling the oil cooler first then turning it
over without plugs until pressure develops.  If you have favorite tip
on engine installation that would nice too.  I hope this isn't a
common question and results in responses similar to asking how to oil
a drive chain on some of the motorcycle lists.  You see, I haven't
even lurked here yet.  Just jumped in and hope I don't commit any
fauxpas.

If someone can tell me how the seat tracks assemble for the front
seats I'd be grateful.  I've looked at the books.  I have the parts,
it just doesn't make sense.  I recovered the seats this weekend and am
now pretty certain that I don't want to make upholstery my next
vocation.

My goal is to have it running for the All British Field Meet the first
weekend of September in Portland, Oregon.  Luckily I don't have far to
drive, wish me luck!

Thanks for a great list!