Re: What's the Fascination with Guns and Cars?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What's the Fascination with Guns and Cars?
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:14:01 EDT
In a message dated 7/28/00 5:14:31 PM, WSpohn4@aol.com writes:

<< Was there a revolution (in thinking perhaps) while I wasn't looking? Has
America become an armed camp (some would say it always was, I suppose)? Or is
it just coincidence that two car manufacturers, both interestingly offshore
ones, have suddenly begun marketing these models that focus on guns?

Anyone have an opinion - I'd really be interested to hear what Americans and
non-Americans both have to say on the subject.

Now here's a great way to go waaay off topic.   Talking about gun rights in
America quickly gets to a logical level that makes a heated discussion of
religion seem like a clinical proof in Scientific American.

Let's just say this and try to leave it alone.  Americans are more divided
than ever before about the need to own guns of all sizes and descriptions.
There seems to be little middle ground and little hope for compromise.  The
gun advocates resent every attempt to pass laws restricting the sale and
distribution of guns, and the gun opponents want more and more laws despite
the fact the government at all levels do not enforce the laws already on the
book.  The apparent increase in violent crimes connected to guns is taken as
proof by both sides for the need to either own guns for self-defense or ban
them.

On a completely separate topic (obvious attempt to derail the gun
conversation) I'm in London now and went to the antique mall Grays Mews to
visit the automobile-oriented shops that were noted on the list several
months ago.  Sadly, none remained.  The search of several other antique malls
uncovered only a very small cache of RAC badges.  Wish I had asked for more
advice before blowing my one free day, and now its too late.  Drat!

Jay Donoghue
66 Mustang
72MGB
72MGB-GT