lets end this thread (Unsolicited mail...)

To: "'Bob Shaw'" <shaws@mlcltd.com>,
Subject: lets end this thread (Unsolicited mail...)
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 00:37:04 -0700
Hi bob, hi all,

thanks bob for the voice of reason. I whole heartedly agree.

I also feel that i should set the record straight after a mail i recieved
today. in short something wierd has been going on behind the scenes, which
cast the guy who wrote to me in a more favourable light.

Firstly this whole thing seems to stem from somethign written in the "guns
and cars" thread, which for some reason he thought i had written. I was
particularly irked to receive the message i did out of the blue, if i had
gone and opened my big mouth and offened somebody i might have deserved a
dressing down off-list. HOWEVER, I never wrote a mail in the "guns" thread,
and in fact i checked back through the archive, and i think i can be quite
sure that i have kept any political views to myself over the last few months

So i HAD been putting the whole thing down to some sort of glitch and honest
mistake.

However, it turns out that the guy who wrote to me got another reply, again
apparently from me, which by all accounts was somewhat personal in tone.
Again, I can safely say that I did not send that e-mail: "manners maketh
man" is a motto which i try very hard to live by. I have written back to the
guy who sent me the original post, and explained the situation: that i did
not send any of the messages he has received; that I really have no idea
what is going on; and that i can see two scenarios to explain this
situation.

1: either we are the victim of some glitch whereby segments of his
conversation with a third party has somehow got copied to me
2: we are both the victim of a malicious prank whereby someone is sending
him inflamatory mails and somehow making them somehow appear to come from
me.

In either case it seems to me that both the guy who originally wrote to me,
and myself for that matter, are blameless in this matter, and i would quite
frankly like to stop wasting time and energy on it.

thanks everyone for your time.

cheers

joe

_________________