Re: Race prepping, shock valves

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Race prepping, shock valves
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 00:54:14 -0700
I want to thank everyone for the various answers that I've been getting
to my questions. Since I'm only planning on entering my MGB in one race,
rather than campaigning it, I don't want to throw too much money at the
project and I really appreciate the reminders of keeping my improvements
in balance with one another.  Since the car has stock spring rates and
slightly uprated bars (the Hopkinson kit from Seven), I think that I'll
forego throwing money at the suspension.  She actually handles rather
nicely and very predictably.  It's my gut level feeling that she could
use with a little more damping, but I'm probably more likely to make
her handle worse than better if I go mucking about.

Oldtimers from the list might remember that back in '89-'93 I campaigned
a Ford Cortina (early '68 MkII GT) in SCCA ITC.  On a couple of occasions
I took her up to Oregon for the fourth of July double regionals.  While
I was there I entered the Conference Production I class and my closest
competion (i.e. the other car in the class) was Bill Thew in his MGBGT.
This is the very same MGB that the Olsens will be driving at Thunderhill,
so I've got some history with that car motivating me to want to at least
be able to keep it in sight for a few laps of the race.

Some more race prep questions:

Reccomendations for valve springs? The cam has stock lift and duration,
and I'm not planning on revving the engine very high. I've been warned
against running over 5500 RPM for any length of time without a cross
drilled crank.  I'll take her up to 6000 or so for brief periods to
save the stress of multiple shifts. Other than that, the engine is
basically blueprinted, balanced, nitrided, forged pistons.  Solid, but
not set up for SCCA E Production.

Reccomendations for a dyno tuner?  I used to have Charlie Rockwell tune my
racecar, but he closed up shop a few years ago. I definitely found the
value of having someone knowledgable dyno tune the car.  I usually saw at
least a 5hp gain.  I hear that Frey Racing sold their dyno to the Mustang
Ranch.

   Larry

--
I want to have profound thoughts and have other people implement them.- T. Bird
lrc@red4est.com                                     http://www.red4est.com/lrc