Re: Race Prep

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Race Prep
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 15:27:31 EDT
In a message dated 01/08/00 10:37:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Reccomendations for valve springs? The cam has stock lift and duration,
>  and I'm not planning on revving the engine very high. I've been warned
>  against running over 5500 RPM for any length of time without a cross
>  drilled crank.  I'll take her up to 6000 or so for brief periods to
>  save the stress of multiple shifts. Other than that, the engine is
>  basically blueprinted, balanced, nitrided, forged pistons.  Solid, but
>  not set up for SCCA E Production.

With a stock cam you can use stock springs. I'm at work and don't have all my
material here, but I believe the stock valve bounce is about 6200 rpm or so.
The power peak on a stock engine is well below 6000, but you can run it to
6000 all day without needing a cross-drilled crank. 6500 is the frontier
beyond which stock cranks should not venture!

If you are using a stock gearbox, you will _need_ to use 6000, so that you
hit somewhere near the torque peak in the next gear.

Bill S.

PS - have fun!