Just finished the job on the daily driver 77B. Took 1.5 hrs. to replace the
wheel bearings, rotor and pads
on the right side. Took 1.5 weeks to do the left side, but that included
questions posed to the list, more
parts from Lawrie, and a direct phone call from Ed Kaler.
The PO said that the brakes had been done just a short while before I bought
the car. I had been
experiencing some shimmying when braking at highway speeds. Now I sure know
why. The pads on the
left side would have been down to the metal backing plate in a very short
while. The right side had
about an eighth of an inch left. The rotor on the left side mic'd out at about
0.24 inches, the right at
about 0.26. Minimum allowed after refinishing is 0.30. Both sets of pads were
glazed and cracked.
Cracking open the bleeder screw allowed me to squeeze the pistons far enough
apart to insert the new
pads. No mess at the m/c that way and no need to add any more fluid.
On disassembling the left hub I discovered .045" worth of spacers (.030, .009,
.004, .002). That wound
up being the right combination for reassembling with new parts. The right side
had .041" (.030, .009,
.002) on disassembly. Ended up removing the .002 when putting it back together
with new parts. A
suggestion --- if you're following the procedures that have you installing the
components dry while you
find the optimum spacer configuration --- do not install the oil seal at that
time. You'll have to drive
it out to remove the inner bearing to grease it.
As I'm inclined to do, I decided to replace the caliper mounting bolts and the
bolts that hold the rotor to
the hub. Seems that Moss sent me seven rotor bolts of one length and one of
another, about .25"
shorter. (Actually, the seven long ones were wrong.) I used four of the long
ones to install the left side
rotor without noticing their length. When I came to the right side today I
discovered the discrepancy. I
ended up reusing the originals for the right side. That might have made for an
Not a very difficult job. No fancy tools required. It's a messy operation,
with quite a few hand cleanings
involved. The kit from Moss with the bearings and seal is great. Just don't be
like me and get faked out
by an OEM type of oil seal and mistake it for the collar.