Re: Fuel Pump, car stereo

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump, car stereo
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 17:40:52 EDT
On the topic of car stereo's, yes it's wonderful that the single DIN size has
become plentiful since that's what out MGB's take. But watch out for the
depth. That is not standardized. My DIN radio is a little too deep and
squishes a heater hose.

On the topic of power, the typical radio without an amp will put out about 15
watts rms per (4 ohm) speaker. (By all means get 4 ohm speakers, this will
give you the most power.) Without a special power converter to boost the 12
volts that the battery puts out (that's what a proper amp has inside), you
will not get more that 15 watts per speaker! (Many manufactures find creative
ways to measure more power, but it's all a lie.) This is about all the power
your typical 5 inch speaker can take anyway without distortion. In fact I
turn the bass turned down a bit so I can run a little more volume without
distorting my 5 inch door mounted speakers. I figure in an open car bass is a
rather lost cause anyway.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336