Re: new copper headgasket

To: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>, jon.arikstad@merkantildata.no
Subject: Re: new copper headgasket
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:06:11 -0500
At 06:06 PM 8/7/2000 -0600, Phil Bates wrote:
>My redcommendation is to get a Payen gasket (from federal moguel - sp?),
.... It is not copper, but I have had 2 copper head gaskets go bad on me
for no appearant reason .... The Payen gasket is a little more expensive,
and only comes in a kit, but it will fit very well.

Ditto my experience with failure of copper head gaskets, and never a
failure with a fiber head gasket.  The Payen head gasket is not a special,
and it is available separately.  The fiber gasket is standard spec for the
1975-1980 MGB (extra heat with the catalytic converter I guess).  Moss part
number 296-405 will get you one of these.

I have one (Payen fiber gasket) in my hand now, and use them regularly on
my MGA.  See nice picture(s) of this gasket here:
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/engine/cm202d.htm

The metal edging around the cylinders is about .048 inch thick and
compresses a little to affect a good compression seal.  The fiber part of
the gasket is .044 inch thick and compresses not very much when the head
bolts are torqued.  I haven't measured one after disassembly, but I'm
guessing not less than .035" inch after use.

I have on a few occasions installed two fiber head gaskets (for various
unusual reasons), and have also never had a gasket failure with this double
gasket installation.  One additional head gasket .035" thick adds nearly 5
cc to the volume of the combustion chamber, so it will lower your
compression ratio quite a bit.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg