Re: pulling a steering wheel

To: xirias@hol.gr, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: pulling a steering wheel
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:21:46 EDT
In a message dated 8/11/00 12:22:59 AM, xirias@hol.gr writes:

<< How tight should the puller
bolt be and how hard should I whack it so the column doesn't collapse? >>

You just might be using the wrong sort of puller.  The ones I have used are
essentially a straight metal bar with three holes in it.  Two holes for the
bolts to attach the bar to the steering wheel hub using the existing holes in
the hub, the third in the center that you tighten against the hub shaft (it
already is bolted to the bar).  The increasing pressure and the occasional
taps will make the wheel pop off after a little while.  The "whacking"
process with a FBH is used by some in conjunction with manual pressure, but I
have had little luck with that.
By the way, anyone want to buy a Grant wheel I took off my GT?  It is a "GT"
label wheel, and hub, black leather with black metal spokes.  Good quality
wheel, list price over $130; I just wanted a different look on the car.

Jay Donoghue
72MGB
72MGB-GT
66Mustang