Re: Time for weber tuning

To: "Donald Markham" <donaldmarkham@mindspring.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Time for weber tuning
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 23:50:07 +0100
Hi, Don,

Webers only have an idle and volume (mixture) screw-settings to do with
tickover. The rest of the fuel delivery-idle circuit, mid range, full
throttle-is dictated by the various jets (air and fuel) and in some
instances, the choke diameter.
Webers aren't hard to tune as such but it gets expensive if you don't have a
full range of jets, etc to hand. Also, you have to figure out which to
change fro a particular problem.

SUs, OTOH depend almost entirely on...

(a) being in good condition
(b) having the right needle
(c) being properly fitted and given some damping oil

With these requirements met, even twins are easier to tweak than a single
Weber.

In my experience, neither carb arrangement 'goes off' - it's usually a
combination of factors that cause poor running.

Cheers,

Dave H.

> All,
> Excuse my ignorance on webers, Why are they so hard to tune and are the
SU's