Re: OD

To: frank krajewski <frankk@intap.net>
Subject: Re: OD
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:39:24 -0500
Hi Frank,

  The later MGB gearboxes have no dipstick.  The earlier ones do.  Thus
the characterizations, "top-fill" and "side-fill."   My Bentley manual
only covers models through '74, so it covers top-fill ODs only.  You're
right on your side fill: fill it to the bottom of the hole, etc., etc.

  As far as oil goes, the manuals adamantly aver that you use the same
oil in the gearbox as you do in the engine.  Then you have the
mainly-temperature charts that tell you which viscosity of oil to use in
the engine for the operating conditions you expect to encounter.  I use
Castrol 20-50 the year 'round because of the mild so central TX
climate.  It gets over 100F here but seldom below 25F.

  There was a spirited thread lately about oil viscocities to use in the
gearbox.  I think straight 30 weight won out but for the life of me I
couldn't see why, given the diversities of temp extremes around the
country as the seasons change.

  Hope this helps,

  Charley Robinson
  '69 B