Re: Floorpan/Underbody repair

To: "Rick Wagner" <wagner@fuse.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Floorpan/Underbody repair
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:12:06 +0100
Everything is welded, and sills is a big job even for an expert.  There
isn't a frame, you have to strip out a lot of fittings, though.  I have to
say that from your questions this isn't the best job for you to be tackling.
I hope you aren't insulted, my apologies if you are.

Are the sills and crossmember bad as well or just the floor?  If just the
floor that is all you need to replace.  Just cut out the old floor leaving a
lip all round and drop the new panel in.  Watch out for the crossmember,
exhaust, cables and pipes when cutting out the old floor of course, and get
the locations for the seat mounting bolts first.  Weld the front nuts, at
least, in before fitting the new panel as they are inside the crossmember.
Tack-weld the new floor in short runs all round leaving very big gaps, then
start filling in the gaps bit by bit or you will end up with a big bulge at
the end.  There's a lot more detail, but that's basically it.

PaulH.