HP per Lb. Some LBC content

To: mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: HP per Lb. Some LBC content
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:57:20 EDT
The post below was put on the Philly Autocross list.  Some very interesting
specs.  Can anyone give the weight, HP and original price for their LBC and
figure out where we stand on this?  Also, what is the torque for a 1275cc and
a 1500cc engine in a Spridget?  I know they vary depending on emissions, but
let's get close.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well I saw my first Honda Insight today, neat little car, 2seater the rear
end is cut flat.
Very light I said to myself "self, that is a CRX" I'll tell you. Take away
the cheesy wind directing rear
Wheel covers (ala Cadillac) and you have an 2nd gen CRX with a redesigned
front end.

Look it's the 3rd generation CRX!!!
http://www.honda2000.com/models/insight/color_info/car3.jpg

So I got to thinking "wonder what the specs are like"

Well here you go

Honda Insight
1847 Lbs
66hp
67ftlbs trq.
$18,800 (gasp for a honduh)
28 lbs per HP

$10.17 per pound

But wait there's more I said that is one light car but is it the lightest we
can buy
NOPE the GEO metro is the only car to beat it out and not by much 14lbs
lighter
To put the HP/weight into perspective a 99 Miata is 16lbs per hp

Metro
1832 lbs
55hp
57 ft-lbs torque
$9232.00
33 lbs per hp

That's $5.04 per pound, cheaper then some meat

Now get this I thought to myself, "self, is that the cheapest car per
pound??"  NOPE)
I am always amazed how my mind works so I looked... and since I was grocery
shopping
When I spotted the insight the price per pound Idea stuck in my head

And I found probably the best deal on four wheels out there, the Daewoo
Lanos

Lanos
2447 lbs
105hp
106ft-lbs
$8669.00
23 lbs per hp

$3.54 per pound cheaper then cheese!!!!!!!!

Other cars that were close
Suzuki Swift

Swift
1895 lbs
79hp
75ft-lbs torque
$9099.00
24 lbs per hp

$4.80 per pound pretty decent

Hyundai Accent
2255 lbs
92hp
97ft-lbs torque
$8999
24.5 lbs per hp

$3.99 per pound (2nd place)

Toyota Echo
2100lbs
108hp
105ft-lbs torque
$9995
19.5 lbs per hp   (for under 10,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
$4.75 per pound

Saturn SL
2332 lbs
108 hp
114ft-lbs torque
$10,685
21.6 lbs per hp
$4.58 per pound

In summary the echo blows away the competition in HP/Weight
While the Daewoo and Hyundai (both Korean) are winners in value per dollar
While the Saturn proves the Americans can play in the foreign game
Notice No European Cars made the list, because Not a single one could be had
For under $15,000 I wish VW were allowed to bring the 98+MPG polo over here
They would really offer a fighting chance.