Re: LPS?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LPS?
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:16:35 -0500
>Subject: Re: LPS?
>
>LPS is aBrand name not a product name
>...my lady friends X is a distributor
>
>Paul Tegler   wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com

etc.,,,

LPS seems to me to be a light version of Waxoyl. It is a spray on rust
preventative and lubricant. Among other things it is used for treating
chains on chain hoists and other industrial rigging equipment. Used
extensively in theatrical and concert rigging. The company recommends a
yearly treatment. I have no idea how well it would work in an automotive
general application, but I've thought about it. I would think it would work
well in areas where there isn't a lot of abuse (inside the engine room,
etc.). I'm not sure how well it would hold up to a constant battering of
water like you get inside a fender well or on the underbody. If it's any
indication; when a chain motor used in an outdoor concert stage goes
through a rainstorm, it's standard practice to check the chain for rust. If
it's been treated with LPS it stands a Much better chance of no rust than
untreated. But it's no gaurantee. I've seen them come back with little
spots of rust here and there.

Also there is a pre-treatment that goes along with it. You're supposed to
clean the item with this stuff and only then apply the LPS. I forget right
now what it's called, but given some incentive I could remind myself to
look it up.

Glenn
Glenn Schnittke
schnittke@mindspring.com