Re: Alternator

To: mrazor@mis.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternator
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 07:10:37 EDT
In a message dated 08/18/2000 8:14:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mrazor@mis.net writes:

<< Could a lot of my electrical faults be found in  a sick alternator.
 Weak horn, once-in-awhile drop of current, slow death when a lot of
 electrical stuff is brought on line.  Weak dash lights. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

A definite possibility.  You are describing a low voltage situation, even to
the slow idle and engine dying.  A bad alternator WILL kill a perfectly good
battery, and a battery with a dead cell WILL kill the diodes in a good
alternator.  Take the battery to a reliable auto electrical shop and have it
tested.  (This is usually free.)  If it shows a bad cell, chances are the
alternator is gone by now.  If the battery tests good, replace the alternator
before any more damage is done.

Also, I don't know if the B has a separate voltage regulator, but if it does,
check it too, and don't forget to make sure the engine block to chassis
ground is clean and tight.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget