Power drop when accelerating

To: _MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Power drop when accelerating
From: Scott Beavis <sbeavis@solartron.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:01:51 +0100
The new MG seems to be running better now. I have richened each carb 1/2
turn and stopped dumping the crankcase gas back into the carbs. This cured
the uneven running below 2k. We can now cruise along at 30mph in 4th no
problems. Before it was almost impossible without the engine revs wandering
and lurching. We do still have an annoying problem which I think may be down
to ignition rather than carbueration. We accelerating the engine pulls well
in 1st and 2nd but when I get into 3rd it pops and hesitates. This seems
worse when cold. The choke doesn't have much effect but it is slightly worse
without choke. It is ok when accelerating gently, but when the throttle
pedal is dipped the power level drops off and the engine note changes. It
idles ok and revs ok so I think it could be ignition timing. As the throttle
is opened further the manifold vacuum drops and the ignition retards due to
the vacuum-advance. If the timing was slightly too retarded the engine would
probably run ok except when the throttles are opened up more than normal.

Anyone comments on this before I start slackening dizzy clamps?

Scott